Mod’n Roll 2012: The Theory of Everything.

Angel OD

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damn... Things always take more time than you imagine them, don't they?

I was hoping to get a lot further today than I did, but there are only so many hours in a day! :)

Here's what I got for you:

I had to mill a small channel in the lexan top to make room for the slimline adapter for the dvd:

29052012439Medium.jpg

I also found a hinge that worked great, with almost no play. I know it's brass, but it'll be painted white. Mounted on the lexan top:

29052012440Medium.jpg

Milled a piece of aluminum that I glued onto the back of the dvd drive, to mount on the hinge:

29052012441Medium.jpg

Spent 15 minutes removing the damn label on top of the drive:

29052012442Medium.jpg

In my happiness of everything going great, I completely forgot one important thing: When the top pivots around the hinge it moves up AND back at the same time. At this point I had glued the drive to the white top, and since there was no way I was trying to take it off, I had to figure out somehow to remove 0.5 mm off of the back edge:

29052012443Medium.jpg

29052012444Medium.jpg

It worked perfectly, but the height of the drive is a bit off. It sticks out around 0.7 mm. Gonna get that fixed tomorrow.

29052012445Medium.jpg

Here you see the back. No way around the 0.6-0.7 mm gap:

29052012446Medium.jpg

In the up position:

29052012447Medium.jpg

29052012448Medium.jpg

That's it for today. I should get the last small querks fixed tomorrow, and then get started on the part that holds the mechanical part that will lift the drive. :)

What a perfectionist!

Thanks guys! I try my best! :)

I mounted the dvd drive in the case. It still needs a little bit of tweaking, a couple of 10th's of milimeters filed off here and there. But this is how it looks from the inside:

30052012453Medium.jpg

Then I went on to making a bracket to keep the motherboard tray in place as well to mount the mechanical parts that moves the drive. I pulled the drive bay, and gonna replace with a piece of 3mm aluminum:

30052012450Medium.jpg

This will also allow (fingers crossed) room for the reservoirs...

Onto the waterblock for the gfx. I have decided to re use on of my 9800 gtx+ cards for this build. I admit there's not a lot of OOMPH in it anymore, but it's quite enough for my gf right now. Also I would need to make a new waterblock if I bought a new card, since I can't get myself to use a factory waterblock!

It was made for my old G5 case, so I had to do a bit to get it nice for this build.

There was some galvanic corrosion in it, so I decided to go with a white top instead of a see through.

But here goes:

Removed the black paint from the evga logo, and did it in white:

30052012449Medium.jpg

Then I had to do something about the CYC inscription. Decided to make a small white plate with "Theory of Everything" written in it. I made it dirty so you could see it, but once I cleaned it you can't hardly see it. :)

30052012451Medium.jpg

White top and plate mounted:

31052012461Medium.jpg

My biggest concern was the PCI-E riser. It looks like crap and I decided to make a piece that hides the worst. It's not really beautiful, but it sure beats looking at the cable and print:

31052012454Medium.jpg

Mounted on the riser:

31052012457Medium.jpg

From the back:

31052012464Medium.jpg

On the card:

31052012465Medium.jpg

And with the block on:

31052012462Medium.jpg

31052012463Medium.jpg

Not too bad for a couple of looong nights at the workshop. :)

I'll be back soon with more! :)

That's awesome!

Moaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar!!!

Relax, I'm working as fast as I can! :lol:

Small update, a little here and a little there! :)

First I mounted the gfx to see how it looked:

04062012470Medium.jpg

Good enough for me! :)

Then I got going on a bracket for the mechanics for the dvd drive:

04062012467Medium.jpg

04062012466Medium.jpg

Switches mounted:

04062012469Medium.jpg

Goes somewhere around here:

04062012471Medium.jpg

Then a small "DAMN" moment... There will not be enough room for the reservoirs, so I had to cut 30mm's off of them... Gonna look a bit beefy, but I think it's gonna work out. :)

04062012468Medium.jpg

Tomorrow is a national holiday, so I'm going to work! :)

I don't have that much time though, as my gf gave me a gift certificate for a body flight in a wind tunnel, so I'm cashing in on that tomorrow as well! :)

C ya soon!

very cool the shield evga

Thanks a lot! :)

Nice gears! But the metallic rack that lifts the DVD drive is automatically activated when the button is pressed?

Anyway, the reservoir still remains awesome. O0

Button? I don't need any button to activate that! :coolsmiley: You'll find out soon! :)

Thanks for the kind words! :)

Small update again. As I have the day off, I went to the workshop and got a couple of things done.

First I had to shorten the rods that holds the reservoir together, and of course this happened...

05062012471Medium.jpg

And then THIS actually happened!

05062012472Medium.jpg

It's sooooo damn rare I get those out, and normally I won't even bother spending time on trying. But since the tap wasn't old/worn I had a small hope, and It worked! :)

The res:

05062012475Medium.jpg

05062012476Medium.jpg

And it will be mounted around here:

05062012477Medium.jpg

05062012478Medium.jpg

I also finished up the bracket that holds the opening mechanism:

05062012473Medium.jpg

05062012474Medium.jpg

Next up is... Hell I don't know! There's just so much still to do, so I'll get my butt out to do the bodyflight and take the rest of the day off. I think I'll try to compile a list of what is left to do, and take it from the top! :)

You made so many things but you have to make so many other things yet! That's because this is a spectacular mod!

Thanks a lot! :) It's all about finishing it up nicely! :)

veru homemade mod

:)

Very small update.

Like I said, there's a milion little things to do now, so I'm just gonna snap a couple of pics here and there. :)

Mounted some lights on the sides of the dvd drive mount:

07062012479Medium.jpg

07062012480Medium.jpg

Painted the PSU:

07062012481Medium.jpg

And Mounted the pumps:

07062012482Medium.jpg

Should have some more things done tomorrow. :)

Oh man.. Spettacoloooooooo

Thanks man! :)

Nice lighting for the DVD drive! :n2mu:

Thanks a lot! :) I was not sure if it would be good, but as soon as I turned it on I knew it was the right decission! :)

So I decided to do a small swap in motherboards on the build. This is my old board that I had in my pc until 2 months ago. This is only for

show and pics. This must be done by saturday next week, and since my gf's in the middle of exams I have a sneaky suspicion I might be single if I start pulling the hardware from her computer right now! :lol:

While installing the cpu cooler, I hit a small problem. I was quite aware that this was a posibility, and it's no real hinder. I'll just take it to the workshop and mill of a little. :)

08062012484Medium.jpg

08062012486Medium.jpg

I finally got the PSU coverplate painted white:

08062012487Medium.jpg

I meassured out where the holes for the pump inlets/outlets, and drilled them today. It's not easy to see, but they sit perfectly! :thumb:

08062012488Medium.jpg

Since I'm not sure if I'll use all 4 holes, or only 2, I made a couple of plugs to close up the holes, just in case :)

08062012489Medium.jpg

That's it for now. I was hoping to get further tomorrow, but I'm going out with the family and then the European Soccer Championship starts. Hopefully Sunday will bring more progress! :)

amazing i haven't words :D

Thanks a lot! But please find some words, I like them! :lol:

Uh Uh Uh! I forgot to show you another small detail! :)

This is the motion sensor. With a drill I made today. The shape of these drills are perfect for thin metal, since they keep centered and cut so you don't have to worry about the drill getting pulled through the sheet metal when it penetrates the back. :)

08062012490Medium.jpg

Mounted:

08062012491Medium.jpg

08062012493Medium.jpg

THAT should be it for today, but you never know! :lol:

was no better than a button like this?

Seriously? You think a button is cooler than a motion sensor? :uglystupid2::D

A motion sensor? That's brilliant!

But I don't see the connection to the dvd drive...

In that case I'll just explain it to you! :)

When you swipe your hand over the motion sensor, the drive comes up and spits the dvd out.

Then you put in a new dvd ( or not) and swipe over the motion sensor again, then the drive goes down. :)

great job man! it lok's gorgeous!

Thanks a lot man! :)

I had to finish up the wiring for the dvd drive pcb. Had to steal 3.3v, 5v, 12v and ground from the PSU.

I made a small insition in the wires from the PSU and soldered the wires on:

09062012494Medium.jpg

09062012495Medium.jpg

09062012496Medium.jpg

Also got a couple of other wires done, and re-attached the plugs for the fans on the radioators. Now I just need to mount the PCB in the case. It will be placed somewhere around here:

09062012497Medium.jpg

I still have quite a bit of work to do, but I don't feel stressed as I'm sure I will wrap this build up for next saturday. (If the software guys have time during the week, fingers crossed)

Catch you guys soon! :)