Mod'n Roll 2012: APASF ("A Post-Apocalyptic Steampunk Future")

Luciel

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks!! ^^ I was going to do something different and the the missus had that idea!, but since there´s no space for the clock itself, I though, if I can find small enough pocket watches, the pendulums themselves can be the clock, and I found them! :D

thanks a bunch tom1, I´m freaking out to finish in time for the 15th, water cooling stuff doesnt arrive till wednesday and who knows if the lamptron packet with the switches and FC10 will arrive in time : ( do you know if we can use the extra couple of days to "upload" the finished pictures, to continue working on it?

Right, final small update of the day.

I am officially knakered, I need a shower, badly (lol), a bit of dinner, a movie, and bed, can´t believe the weekend is already over and work tomorrow :S

Aniway, I finished preparing two of the borders.

Vinyl:

96.JPG

97.JPG

Leftovers on the wall, yep.

98.JPG

And the ageing proccess aplied, i.e. final result:

99.JPG

And with this we reach 99 pictures on the project! I hope you all have a pleaseant evening and again, thanks for reading.

More tomorrow.

Thanks ArgOs!!! Believe me it´s been hectic, I´ve been working on it for every spare minute that I have, the problem now isn´t so much time as I´m used to doing fast modding, it´s parts delivery, water cooling kit not arriving till wednesday and god knows if the Lamptron package will arrive in time (switches and FC10)

Todays Update.

I´ve started with the paint. Basically everything that´s not wood, is copper, but adding the post-apocalyptic flavour in there. This technique I´ve been developing for a while and it´s the first time I implement it in to a mod.

By the end of this update you will not see the final product, you will see what it looks like before the ageing process, i.e. the copper goes in most places a lot darker, like real copper, the reason for the extra light copper color is to be able to have highlights once it´s ben aged. The turquoise is the opposite, it is very pale here, and it will have aged highlights once finished. The reason I can´t do this today is due to the fact that to get to this point requires quite a few coats and it needs a lot more time to dry, which it needs to be completely for me to aply the ageing process to this.

Without further wait, the process pictures.

First, the primer.

100.JPG

101.JPG

To continue, a solid coat of the orange-y copper and before it dries, a light coat of turquoise. Once aplied, using absorbant paper I go all over the fresh paint creating a non solid surface or color which will be the base.

102.JPG

Once dried, I aply a almost solid coat of the copper orange from further away than the usual, as you can see the dried paint uneven surface is doing it´s job by not allowing the fresh coat to reach every corner. I also further the paper usage to create a more uneven surface for the next coats.

103.JPG

104.JPG

105.JPG

106.JPG

107.JPG

108.JPG

109.JPG

110.JPG

111.JPG

112.JPG

This goes on for 2 more coats alternating both colours.

To finish off, I give a completely solid coat of turquoise and very quickly another of the copper. The wet coats and the surface react with eachother giving me the final look before the ageing process.

Here´s a variety of pictures of it with and without flash.

113.JPG

114.JPG

115.JPG

116.JPG

117.JPG

118.JPG

119.JPG

120.JPG

121.JPG

The final rusted copper look coming tomorrow.

Lol I know, but thanks for reminding me again, freaking out here hahahaha

Today I will hopefully finish the paint on these parts, and do the last of the mounts on the main chasis for the 2x 360 rads and start the paint. The liquid cooling equipment arrives tomorroe evening, I will finish the paint on the chasis part then, mount the equipment and on thursday go to the plumbing shop and get the piping done and mounted, then do a loop test run till friday to make sure its all go, mount the whole PC, and were done.

Except of course the lamptron switches and FC10 for the front, which have not arrived yet and do not if theyll arrive in time.

Worst case scenario ill paint a dvd drive to fill in the slot so it looks finished.

Update,

Had some internet issues last night so you couldn´t upload the pictures.

Aniway, the rust effect is finished, I aplied the ageing technique and several tones of copper to give it a more realistic look. The turquoise is very mild and I can´t quite catch it on camera, I took some pictures outside in the sun, hopefully that helps.

You´ll also notice I decided to add some extra effects and I´ve made it look as if the case had been partially submerged from the bottom left corner upwards.

This has without a doubt been the hardest and most time consuming effect I´ve ever done, the whole copper rust thing.

Hope you like it.

122.JPG

123.JPG

124.JPG

125.JPG

126.JPG

127.JPG

128.JPG

129.JPG

130.JPG

Lol I know, but thanks for reminding me again, freaking out here hahahaha

Today I will hopefully finish the paint on these parts, and do the last of the mounts on the main chasis for the 2x 360 rads and start the paint. The liquid cooling equipment arrives tomorroe evening, I will finish the paint on the chasis part then, mount the equipment and on thursday go to the plumbing shop and get the piping done and mounted, then do a loop test run till friday to make sure its all go, mount the whole PC, and were done.

Except of course the lamptron switches and FC10 for the front, which have not arrived yet and do not if theyll arrive in time.

Worst case scenario ill paint a dvd drive to fill in the slot so it looks finished.

I didn't mean to stress you...:D

Update:

Today I haven´t done much progress in the sense of progress I can show you with pictures. The 3 hours I had today to work on the project I pretty much spent measuring up and deciding mounting of the liquid cooling components (yes, they arrived today).

But, for the sake of posting a picture, here´s a teaser on where the rads will be.

131.JPG

Initially I had planned to mount them with spaces, however, I´ve decided against it for two reasons. First, the weight of the rads would provably unbalance the tower if separated. Secondly the metal sheeting, while thick, isn´t thick enough to keep the rads firmly straight and I don´t like them being able to move at all if touched as it can weaken the sheet metal.

So due to these 2 reasons I will be mounting them straight on the metal plate.

Hopefully, a rather big update tomorrow in prepation for the final update (I´ve taken tomorrow morning and friday morning off work in order to have enough time to finish this by friday midnight, the deadline for the competition, wish me luck!