Roll Mod'n 2012: ORGANIC II

awadon

Hi everybody.

Few months ago I have started construction of my home server.

I will place here all of my work progress made so far and of course all new posts :)

Cooler_master_logo.png

i129773_dremellogo.gif

lamptron_logo.jpg

Aquatuning_logo.jpg

After long reflection, I concluded that I will not once again integrate the server with my home computer. So it is time to make a small, home server once again.

Short predictable specification.

Processor - Centrino

Board - ThinkPad R51, a colleague that one used in the Steam & Current project.

Drives - minimum 2x320GB Array, because such I use now. It is possible that there will be more drives.

Material:

Wood - mirabelle plum (Prunus domestica) and cherry. It is possible that it will use the false acacia (Robinia pseudoacacia). Brass once again to. So as you can see it's a standard for me (I hope that soon this will change:)

Here are pictures of sawn timber. I gave a different light to show colour and wood grain.

organic1.jpg

Yesterday I cut a rough outline of matrix attachment.

organic3.jpg

organic5.jpg

I've also cut a place to settle the keyboard.

organic7.jpg

Then I've sanded keyboard.

organic8.jpg

I've linked the future keyboard with the front. After testing several options for positioning the motherboard I decided to put it partially under the keyboard. The second part with the processor will be mounted into LCD panel case.

As you can see at this stage, still nothing spectacular.

organic11.jpg

organic10.jpg

organic12.jpg

I've glued sidewalls and little sanded and cut. Unfortunately, my dremel just died. I'm waiting for a new one.

organic20.jpg

organic19.jpg

organic18.jpg

organic17.jpg

And now.

My new handy toy - an electric grinder.

organic30.jpg

And a little effects of grinding.

organic21.jpg

organic22.jpg

organic23.jpg

The next stage of modelling. Holes will serve as ventilation. Unfortunately dremel failure slows me a bit. It is hard to shape them with another tool.

organic34.jpg

organic31.jpg

organic32.jpg

organic33.jpg

I'am still shaping the form.

organic40.jpg

organic35.jpg

Here at the very top there will be warm air outlet. Something like a chimney.

organic36.jpg

organic37.jpg

organic38.jpg

organic39.jpg

I have a concept how to cover all those holes.

Small update after a few days. Unfortunately photos taken with a lamp :(

organic46.jpg

organic47.jpg

organic48.jpg

I've glued back plate to the case.

organic53.jpg

organic54.jpg

organic55.jpg

organic56.jpg

Thank you guys :)

But this is not everything made so far :)

Practically, I managed to give a proper shape to the case. Still a lot to sand, but roughly it is already in the target shape.

organic61.jpg

organic62.jpg

organic63.jpg

organic64.jpg

Now it's time to cover this ugly holes :)

Unfortunately I could not make desired shape without a form. Acrylic when heated is plastic too short. I've used a foam to create a forms. On the the foil I pour out foam. From the back it is protect by the plywood. I'm waiting until the foam expands itself and fill out the hole.

organic74.jpg

Then I can make plaster cast.

organic75.jpg

organic76.jpg

Now, either I use casting resin. Or gelcoat and laminate.

Meanwhile I'm still sanding.

organic84.jpg

organic85.jpg

organic86.jpg

organic87.jpg

organic88.jpg

organic89.jpg

organic90.jpg

Then I've modelled arm, at the end of which I will put hard drives. In my intention hard drive case will be in a disk shape, or even more like flower bud. Frankly a lot of work.

organic103.jpg

organic104.jpg

organic105.jpg

organic106.jpg

And now a small sample of the case along with the arm. There is obviously still missing an element containing the disks.

organic107.jpg

organic108.jpg

organic109.jpg

organic110.jpg

organic111.jpg

And after few days the arm is ready.

organic112.jpg

So it will look roughly like this. "Bud," of course, will also be trimmed.

organic98.jpg

Trimmed like this :)

organic120.jpg

organic121.jpg

organic122.jpg

organic123.jpg

Now, I very briefly describe the methods that I used.

It is not an easy task. Because making a forms is very time consuming. It's even bigger waste of time to make a form, which will be used only once! But as it turned out not as difficult.

First, we need a positive element that will serve to do the form. In my case, these are elements made of the foam. To give them proper smoothness I've put putty layer. I used regular acrylic, because durability does not matter.

organic160.jpg

organic161.jpg

Light sanding and I've applied a layer of spray filler.

organic162.jpg

Now we have to sand it good. For each inequality at this stage will be reflected in the form.

At the end paint and a little polishing.

organic163.jpg

Now I've put some wax and do the form. In my case, it's single use of a form, so no point in doing it with resin. It was faster to make it from a building plaster. Just do not use other kind's of gypsum as I did before, because I had it in my hand. It was a total failure. That was the reason why I had to finish all "caps" with a putty. Building plaster dries much faster and is hard.

After removing the positive element the form is ready. Small form problems I fill and sand.

organic164.jpg

It is time to use a gelcoat. I give a very thick layer. In some places above the centimeter, because then there is no problem with sanding and polishing.

After removing the element looks like this:

organic167.jpg

And after grinding so:

organic168.jpg

organic169.jpg

Later I will show photos after polishing, because at the moment I do not have the right polish paste.

The advantage of this method is that the resin is very hard and not easy to scratch. And even if it does it's the whole element stays in one colour.

And here is one more "plug".

Model made ??of foam and over treated.

organic170.jpg

The form just before flooding with gelcoat.

organic171.jpg

And laminate after removing from the form.

organic172.jpg

The same element during processing.

organic173.jpg

organic174.jpg

Still a little work on polishing and it will be finally ready.

As you can see I've at once flooded with gelcoat power and lan sockets. In this module I should be able to put power supplies and access point.

Flooding the power and LAN nests in the resin prompted me with the idea for the implementation of my communication LEDs.

organic185.jpg

I've decided to flood a piece of plexiglass in another module.

organic180.jpg

organic181.jpg

Then I sanded it a little.

organic182.jpg

And try it in place.

organic183.jpg

organic184.jpg

As you can see now, there are noticeable scratches and visible place of connection. But to sand it finally and polish it I have to wait . Because as I found out, gelcoat final hardness is achieved only after several hours. Probably this is my error resulting from inadequate amounts of hardener.

Small session with an already made elements :)

organic201.jpg

organic200.jpg

organic202.jpg

I've changed the method of making the mold. So far I've been using foam and putty and then sanding it.

organic203.jpg

And now I've tested method of making the mold from modeling clay.

organic204.jpg

As you can see by the mold, this method also works.

organic205.jpg

It gives huge advantage in time. Instead of hours or days, the execution takes tens of minutes. Next week, all the elements made of the resin should be ready.

After a long brake I've made some inlay on the hdd arm. Grinding itself is not complicated. The problem was to find right putty in a black colour. In the end I got the best results using epoxy putty.

organic230.jpg

organic231.jpg

organic232.jpg

organic233.jpg

organic234.jpg

Some progress. One side of the case is almost finished. Unfortunately, routing channels and filling it with putty is quite slow.

organic240.jpg

organic241.jpg

organic242.jpg

organic243.jpg

organic244.jpg

organic245.jpg

organic246.jpg

This is almost finished case.

organic270.jpg

organic271.jpg

organic272.jpg

organic273.jpg

organic274.jpg

organic275.jpg

organic276.jpg

organic277.jpg

organic278.jpg

Then ......

After some discussion with friends I had to redesign the case. The new version of the arm is mounted on the back and on the opposite side. Now I think there is better balance between front and rear, and right or left side.

organic280.jpg

organic281.jpg

organic282.jpg

organic283.jpg

organic284.jpg

organic285.jpg

Working in wood is almost finished. Just take some time to painting and final polishing. So I had a moment to complete the first illumination element in the resin. I think the best will be a "little touch" of light. I do not want to get a Christmas tree.

organic300.jpg

organic301.jpg

organic302.jpg

I'm curious of your opinion:)

And there are two pictures from the side I previously had mounted the arm.

organic303.jpg

organic304.jpg

log.jpg

And for now it's everything. As you can see this project is in very advanced stage. But it took me more then half a year to get this result. Now I will place here next updates.

I am very curious of your opinion.

Thank you very much guys. All of you for your support :)

I've mounted all resin elements in to the both sides of the case. I also did much of the back-light. Probably I will mount some kind of regulator to take control of light intensity. It will be easier to adjust the power.

organic313.jpg

organic310.jpg

organic312.jpg

Probably I will leave the keyboard painted in black. Because polished keys are not giving the desired effect.

organic311.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

[FASE 2: Preparazione alla votazione] 15 Giugno - 22 Giugno

A fine concorso ogni utente avrà una settimana di tempo per presentare le foto o i video finali del proprio progetto per le votazioni, ogni utente potrà postare un massimo di 4 foto e 2 video per mod, tali foto rappresenteranno l'ultimo post del worklog e saranno quindi seguite dai ringraziamenti agli sponsor in caso di sponsorizzazione.

[Phase 2: Preparing to vote] June 15th to June 22nd

At the end of the contest each user will have a week to present the photos or videos of his final project to the vote, users can post up to 4 photos and 2 videos for each mod, these photos represent the last post of the worklog and then will be followed by thanks to the sponsors in the event of sponsorship.

• 4 weeks later...